About the local self-government

Knjaževac, the only city in the Republic of Serbia at the confluence of two rivers, with seven bridges connecting people, attractive to tourists due to its natural characteristics, attractive to investors due to its hardworking people, and attractive to artists due to the oldest Festival of Culture. Knjaževac is a small town, also known for fruit growing, viticulture, quality wines, interesting customs and events and hospitable people.

The municipality of Knjaževac is located in the eastern part of Serbia, along the border with the Republic of Bulgaria, in an area that is geographically and historically known as the Timočka Krajina region.

Natural-geographical position

The municipality of Knjaževac is one of the largest municipalities in Serbia, i.e. it covers an area of ​​1,202 km2. The administrative center of the municipality is Knjaževac, and the municipality, in addition to the urban settlement, also includes 85 rural settlements. The town itself is located on the banks of Trgoviški and Svrljiški Timok rivers, which together, towards Zaječar, form Beli Timok. The municipality borders the municipalities of Zaječar, Boljevac, Sokobanja, Svrljig, Bela Palanka and Pirot. A significant part of the border area of ​​the municipality is the border line of the Republic of Serbia with Bulgaria. Most of the municipality belongs to the hilly and mountainous area. In the mountainous part, the dominant place is occupied by the massif of Stara Planina, whose highest peak is Midžor (2,169 m), while the lowest point of the municipality is 176 m above sea level.


The climate on the territory of the municipality of Knjaževac is moderately continental. Thanks to the geographical position near the rivers and the existence of several mountain massifs, this area has its own specifics and different climatic characteristics. In general, the climatic regions stand out quite clearly: the valley regions and mountain regions. The highest temperatures are measured in July, and the average maximum temperature is 21.1°C. The lowest temperatures are measured in January when the average minimum temperature is -1.1°C. Annual precipitation is 610 mm. January and December have the largest number of days with snow cover, which is very important for the development of winter sports in the mountainous areas of the municipality.

History of the LSG

The Knjaževac area has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the habitats in Baranica, Škodrino polje, Dubrava, the cave drawing of horsemen in Gabrovnica and other numerous archaeological finds.

The Roman fortification Timacum Minus near the village of Ravna, with excavated ramparts, parts of a civilian settlement, a rich necropolis, explains the period of the history of the Knjaževac area to the time of the Middle Ages.

The towns of Ravna and Koželj, the Church of the Holy Mother of God in Gornja Kamenica and the Monastery of the Holy Trinity in Donja Kamenica, built in the 15th century, date to the Middle Ages, as well as the first trace of the name Gurgusovac. Folk legend says that the name Gurgusovac, under which name it is mentioned in the Turkish censuses from 1455, was given due to the maned pigeons.

There is little information from the time of the Turkish government. The record from the 17th century records the then Gurgusovac as a military fortification with palisades and a cannon, with 46 Turkish and 120 Christian houses.

With the fall of Serbia in 1813, Gurgusovac also fell, which was annexed to the Vidin pashaluq, until the liberation from the Turks and the annexation of the motherland of Serbia in 1833. The city is left with the Gurgusovac Tower, the infamous prison for political prisoners, better known as the “Serbian Bastille”. The tower was set on fire by order of Prince Miloš Obrenović, so in 1859, the citizens changed the name of the town to Knjaževac.

The period between the two wars will be remembered for the noticeable development of the Knjaževac municipality, the opening of various craft shops and workshops, as well as the first industrial capacities: tannery, brickyard, wine cellar, so that Knjaževac got all the elements of the city environment.

The Second World War in Knjaževac began with demonstrations and the occupation of the city on April 11, 1941 by Germany and the occupation of Budžak by Bulgaria. After long battles with the Bulgarians and Germans, Knjaževac was finally liberated on October 10, 1944.

Accelerated development began in 1960, but the period from 1970 to 1985 was the most significant in the development of Knjaževac so far, in all elements of economic and social development. In that period, buildings were built to recognize Knjaževac, namely: House of Culture, Health Center, preschool with a network of kindergartens, several apartment blocks, and in terms of cultural public Knjaževac is best known for the national festival, the Festival of Youth Culture of Serbia, which was established in 1962 and which continues to this day.

Existing investment partners in the LSG

  • Falc East llc – footwear industry
  • SCS Plus – wood processing industry
  • Džervin llc – food processing industry
  • Desing llc – food processing industry
  • Mobi llc – wood processing industry
  • Hatiba llc – metal industry
  • Proggeti llc – footwear industry

Reasons for investing in the LSG

  • Favourable geostrategic position (Knjaževac municipality is located near important roads, is well connected with neighbouring municipalities and is located along the border with the Republic of Bulgaria, and thus with the EU)
  • Wealth of natural resources (Stara Planina-mountain tourism, thermal spring Rgoška Banjica-spa tourism, abundance of forests and agricultural land)
  • Ecological preservation of the location (due to the absence of heavy industry and large pollutants – unpolluted land that allows the production of healthy food)
  • Satisfactory local infrastructure (traffic, water supply, utility infrastructure, electricity and telecommunications network)
  • Working and qualified population (about 60% of the population of the municipality of Knjaževac is able to work, there is a technical school in the municipality with the following specializations: shoemaker, commercialist, construction technician and technician for computer control (CNC) machines)

You can see the investment locations on the link HERE or at the bottom of the page.

Name: Municipality of Knjaževac

Address: Miloša Obilića 1, 19350 Knjaževac

Phone number: 019/732 – 730

E-mail: soknjazevac@mts.rs

Website: http://www.knjazevac.rs/